All schools within the Central RSA Academies Trust completed a comprehensive risk assessment before opening to wider numbers of pupils in June 2020.
These risk assessments have been regularly reviewed, updated as required with new information and legislation.
Following the government’s announcement of lockdown #3 in January 2021, the limited return to school of pupils and the introduction of testing, risk assessments have been reviewed in all schools with the following outcomes;
Nurseries have reopened with 4 additional elements to the risk assessments;
- Staff to wear face coverings outside of classrooms.
- Questioning of parents when they drop off their children to ensure that their children do not present with symptoms.
- Temperature checks on arrival.
- Ensuring where possible face coverings are worn by parents/carers when dropping off and picking up children or visiting the Nursery.
Primary schools – staff now wear face coverings outside of classrooms.
Middle schools – Year 7 & 8 pupils receive lateral flow testing and staff.
Secondary schools – have introduced lateral flow testing for pupils and staff.
The risk assessment covered the following areas;
- Awareness of procedures and policies
- Hygiene practices in classrooms and public areas
- Administering first aid to those presenting symptoms of COVID-19
- Managing suspected cases of COVID-19
- Spread of infection
- Clinically vulnerable staff
- Mental health concerns – staff
- Management of infectious diseases
- Governance and policy
- Vacant premises/re-opening of premises
- Emergency/fire evacuation
- Available capacity reduced by social distancing
- Organising small class groups
- Classroom based arrangements/class sizes
- Continued prioritisation of vulnerable pupils
- Pupils falling behind in learning
- Pupils eligible for free school meals
- Plans if staff numbers lower than required to teach classes
- Staff training
- Social distancing arrangements
- Pupil behaviour
- Transition planning
- Communication of Academy plans
- Academy building arrangements
- Contractors on site
- Costs of additional measures due to COVID-19
- Mental health concerns – pupils
- Transport arrangements
- Onwards = Updates
A weekly review takes place of all sections within the Risk Assessment and section 29 and all subsequent sections relate to additional control measures that have been added to the Risk Assessment following updated guidance, advice and that weekly review.